Executive Director Position Announcement
Virginia Society for Technology in Education
VSTE is seeking a highly qualified and energetic person to become the organization's next executive director. It is our hope to announce the next executive director at the upcoming annual conference in December, then allow for a period of transition that would gradually transfer all roles and responsibilities of the executive director to the newly hired candidate by June 30, 2022. The desired start date would be July 1, 2022.
Under the direction of the Board of Directors the Executive Director shall provide leadership and administrative oversight for the items listed below:
Oversee management of financial accounts and budget
- Participate in Finance Committee Meetings
- Communicate regularly with Account/Bookkeeper and tax preparer
- Prepare and present a monthly report that includes any budgetary accounting, communications with other agencies and activities that support or promote the organization to the Board of Directors
- Email, member newsletter and notifications
- Attend meetings, webinars, conferences
Research, write, and otherwise appeal for grant funding
- In partnership with organizations both state and local
Coordinate efforts of Board Committees
- Attend committee meetings
- Support Committee Chair
- Advertise events
Maintain and develop professional community networks and relationships
- Represent VSTE as State Affiliate of the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), Consortium of School Networking (CoSN), School Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA) and other potential or future affiliations
- Act as liaison between board of directors and VSTE partners e.g. Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), Greater Richmond Area Educational Technology Consortium (GRAETC), Shenandoah Valley Educational Technology Consortium (SVETC), Unison EDU, Common Sense Education or others as identified in the guidance documents
Provide oversight for all organization sponsored activities
- VSTE Conference
- Leading Ed Forum
- Other regional events and activities e.g. GRAETC Ed Tech Conference, Brainstorm, Roanoke Maker Faire...
Negotiate, secure, supervise and manage all paid contractors, sub-contractors, or work for hire
- Corporate Sponsors
- Annual Conference Sponsors
- Admin Assistant
- Conference Chair
- Events Coordinator
- Tax preparer
- Legal representatives
All other responsibilities as deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors
A bachelor's degree in education or related field required. A master’s degree or higher in educational leadership or organizational management preferred.
At minimum, the candidate must have 3 years experience in an educational setting, and 3 years experience in a leadership role with a non-profit organization, or 3 years experience in a leadership role within an organization that serves education professionals or the public.
Knowledge of the history and development of educational technology as well as the current trends and best practices within the field of pedagogy and the learning sciences required.
- Professional experience with a non-profit, business, or school
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to handle sensitive situations with respect, discretion, and professionalism
- Effective organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, events, and commitments efficiently and effectively
- Capability to work independently and lead a diverse team of professionals with wide-ranging skill sets
- Work ethic that is creative, highly motivated, outgoing, and detail oriented
- Excellent computer skills with a working knowledge of educational and business software, Google Productivity Suite, presentation tools, video conferencing and various social media platforms
- Availability to work weekends and evenings as needed. Hours are largely flexible, but evening and weekend hours are required for attending meetings and travel to events in order to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
- Knowledge of VSTE’s affiliations with national organizations (ISTE, CoSN, SETDA) and our relationship with the Virginia Department of Education, other regional organizations, individual school districts and consortia
- Valid driver’s license
- Live in or be willing to relocate to Virginia
A salary range of $35,000 - $45,000 is based on part time, flexible, remote work schedule and is also to be commensurate with experience. Benefits include designation under grant funding to supervise and manage funding, reimbursement for organizational memberships, travel related expenses, adequate Internet connectivity, hardware and software deemed necessary to complete responsibilities.