Why apply for the VCC program?
The VSTE Certified Coaching program has been developed in partnership with Forward Edge and its content is aligned with the ISTE Standards for Coaches. This program has been designed so that coaches who complete the certification:
- Have a clear understanding of their role as an educational technology coach.
- Think systematically about the role their coaching program plays in larger district goals and initiatives.
- Approach technology integration from a learning objective first mindset.
- Be prepared to incorporate formal coaching cycles into their coaching program.
- Create and market professional learning experiences founded in andragogical best practices that are personalized, memorable, and lead to classroom implementation.
- Possess a strong skill set for building relationships and deepening coaching conversations with educators.
- Utilize data to make informed decisions about their work as a coach and the needs of educators they support.
Through the VCC program, VSTE is building a professional learning network of certified coaches, advocating for the role of ITRTs across the state of Virginia, and supporting the ongoing learning and coaching development of VCC coaches.
What is needed in order to apply for the VCC program?
Interested coaches will need to determine which cohort they wish to register for based on their experience and availability. There will be three VCC cohort options for the 2023-2024 academic year: full year, fall semester, and spring semester. The full year cohorts will run from September through May and will meet once every month. The fall semester cohorts will run from August through December and will meet twice each month. The spring semester cohorts will run from January through May and will meet twice each month. Newer coaches are recommended to register for the full year cohorts in order to allow more time between learning experience to grow their practice, but all applicants can indicate their preference within the registration form.
Interested coaches will need to fully understand the expectations of the VCC program and should obtain approval from a direct supervisor. There will be meeting times that will occur during regular working hours, and there is an expectation that participating coaches will commit to the meeting times and participate during those sessions. In order for candidates to be successful, supervisors will need to be supportive of a coach’s participation and made aware that there is a cost of $250 per participant associated with the VCC program.
What is the timeline for the VCC program application?
The 2023-2024 VCC Application Deadline is March 24th, and all applicants will be notified on or before April 14th of their acceptance. The first meeting of each cohort will be announced in advance, and subsequent meeting times will be determined by a cohort poll. Arrangements for the payment of $250 must be made prior to the first cohort meeting. Divisions interested in hosting a division-wide cohort should contact Rod Carnill (email@example.com), VSTE Executive Director.